-->

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Basement Bliss


I think this photo comparison makes perfect sense. 



On Saturday I had the whole day to myself and though I severely missed Sage and Kylee I choose to look at the positive side and get to creating. It was hard, really. Without work and Sage rousing me from bed I was able to sleep in late and wallow around wayyyy to much. I made a playlist and some tea. I finally went down to the basement in the early afternoon after enough procrastination enabled me to do so. It's not like I don't LOVE to be down there. It's more that when I go down to the valley below I get so overwhelmed with the possibilities and potential within myself it's so confounding. I look at it like this picture to the right. Pretty psychedelic, no? I found this gem in the real wide world- at the park- on the side the Little Tykes jungle gym. That's right, playground equipment.  Who would have thought, right? Amongst all of the normalcy of an everyday playground I found this amazing picture! That's how I feel like creating down there. I expect to go down there with an ordinary idea and when I start to explore I find myself relishing in the imaginative ninches' of my mind. Inevitably, I find myself snipping the last thread to a new item that I never imagined making in the first place.


Like this shirt:



Kylee found this shirt for Sage at a thrift store over the weekend. Even though it has a hole we decided it was a wise purchase. The simple decision was mostly biased by our love of owls and decided by the fact that it was less than a dollar. Kylee handed it to me to patch and boy did I ever. I saw the playground and found the hidden beauty. I not only patched the hole with a brown fabric, I was able 
to create a whole new design with thanks to my extraordinary new tool. Simple as it may seem this handy little rotary cutter has shaved an abundance of time off of my projects. If somehow your behind the curve like me and haven't purchased one of these bad girls I completely recommend them.  
One thing I found, however is  that when cutting out circles and/or curved edges that it really cuts up your mat. Exibit A: to the top picture. Cutting in straight lines doesn't do anything to the  $10 mat but I really carved it  up when  I was cutting stacks of fabric into circles for my  yet to be debuted vintage pomp flower hair clips.     Not that I am the kind of person to fret over a cut-up cutting mat. That'd be ridiculous.

Here's the pomps I've been working on: 

They're really fun to make, and with the fabric and button choices being all my decision I really do feel like I put the character into every single piece.
And Sage's shirt? 
She loved it :

Some other head wear I've been working on that I've YET to list.
    



Listing is by far the hardest thing to get done. Serously. I've have a pile of goodies that need to list and haven't gotten around to putting them up. Two days ago Kylee and I took the pictures with every good intention of getting them listed. Instead we both have felt under the weather for the last three days nursing ourselves on love, good food,  United States of Tara (which is incredibly addictive, by the by) and even an unschooling day with Sage where we took Route 66 from Oklahoma City to Tulsa stopping at historical landmarks and lakes and parks along the way. 
I also learned how to cable knit! I'm moving on up the beanpole with my knitting techniques.  In the process of learning how to cable knit which takes three needles I learned the purl stitch. The purl stitch turns out to be incredibly easy! You just pull the yarn to the front and go right to left into the loop, crossing over the front of your work. It's like doing the knit stitch upside down. Youtube really helped me with this. I found that tutorial videos are extremely helpful. The books I got from the library looked like gibberish knitting language and we're too advanced to me. The cable knitted piece to your right is a winter cowl I'm working on. I'm very proud of it. 
Truth is, I've been so into Kylee and Sage and myself lately that It's been a week (last Thursday) since I've started to write this blog and I'm just now finishing it. I've even made a list of things to write about. Took pictures. In turn I really got onto myself about not getting it done. I also have been really hard on myself about not listing those items. What I really know, and what Kylee helps me understand, is that my procrastination is only a result of me living my life. And I really LOVE my life. My lady. My monster. I'm excited about everywhere we're going. I feel it all. And plus- Boots & Barefeet has had their first sale. These adorable cups are sold to new family up in the North-East. Everything, no matter the amount of procrastination, waiting, putting-off is possible with enough love. Beautiful things happen with consciousness.  I believe that with all of my heart. It's not necessary to put so much pressure on ourselves, ladies & gents. Routines are great and structure is a good measure for success. 
But...
When the pasta pot boils you have to remember the three kisses. That's the important part. That's the thankful part. The part that slows the boiling to a simmer. Don't forget the kisses.


Lovin' you family,
Barefeet

P.S. I found a pair of boots in a thrift store. My first pair of boots. I feel empowered when I wear them.

"You go girl"- Barefeet









No comments:

Post a Comment